Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office
|Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office|
|Common name||Santa Barbara County Sheriff|
Patch of the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office
Flag of Santa Barbara County, California
"Keeping the Peace Since 1850"
|Annual budget||US$112,730,087 (2012)|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||County of Santa Barbara in the state of California, United States of America|
|Map of Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office's jurisdiction.|
|Size||2,745 sq mi (7,110 km2)|
|Legal jurisdiction||Santa Barbara County, California|
|Agency executive||Bill Brown, Sheriff|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office (SBSO) provides law enforcement for the unincorporated areas of Santa Barbara County, California, as well as several cities within the county. The cities that the Sheriff's Office provides police services for include Buellton, Carpinteria, Goleta and Solvang. In total the 640 full-time employees of the Sheriff's Office are responsible for 2,745 square miles (7,110 km2) of the county.
Founded in 1850, the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office is the oldest law enforcement agency in the state. In its early days, the department battled outlaws Salomon Pico and Jack Powers. Initially having a single Sheriff, aided only by a jailer and guard in charge of the chain gang, the department now has over 600 full-time employees.
North County Operations Division
The North County Operations Division starts at the Gaviota Tunnel and extends north to the San Luis Obispo County line as well as east to the Kern County and Ventura County lines. The division has patrol stations in Buellton, Lompoc, New Cuyama, Santa Maria and Solvang.
South County Operations Division
The South County Operations Division boundaries extend south from Gaviota Tunnel to the Ventura County line and west, from the crest of the Santa Ynez Mountains to three islands in the Santa Barbara Channel with patrol stations in Carpinteria, Goleta and Isla Vista.
- "History". Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Sheriff Budget 12-13" (PDF). County of Santa Barbara Operating Plan 2012-13 Recommended Budget. Board of Supervisors. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Sheriff's Office Santa Barbara County Annual Report 2011" (PDF). Santa Barbara County Sheriff. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Annual Report - Law Enforcement Operations" (PDF). Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office. p. 10. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Sheriff Budget 13-14" (PDF). County of Santa Barbara Opperating Plan 2013-14 Recommended Budget. Board of Supervisors. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Sheriff's Office Santa Barbara County 2011 Annual Report" (PDF). Sheriff’s Office Santa Barbara County. pp. 12 & 15. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
|This law enforcement–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|